Monday, December 29, 2008

Sick of Singapore ISP Bullshit

First it was Singnet and their "nobody needs more than 21Mbps" rubbish. Then Starhub is finding excuses for their inability to handle congestion from multiple users in the same area.

All the things mentioned in this page are true. But, it is a deliberate attempt to confuse users to prevent them from knowing the real truth.

I just signed up with Starhub's 8Mbps MaxOnline Express Plus plan, which comes with a complimentary 1Mbps mobile broadband plan. I've found that the mobile broadband was actually FASTER!

This is not the first time I have noticed this, but today I have decided to take down my results.

Using 2Wire's SpeedTest I obtained 3 readings from mobile broadband and cable modem each. The time was around 9pm today (Monday evening).

With mobile broadbamd, I had:

1.17Mbps
1.21Mbps
1.33Mbps

With cable modem, I had:

161.40kbps
190.70kbps
127.50kbps

Surprisingly, I am getting the full download speed from my 1Mbps mobile broadband connection, which is 10 times faster than the supposedly much faster 8Mbps cable connection.

No more excuses, Starhub. I have performed
  • the same test from
  • the same website at
  • the same time period
with astonishingly different results. Try explaining your way out of this one.

No comments: