Sunday, December 07, 2008

Speed Demon

Did I also mention I bought the Linksys WRT310N Wireless-N Gigabit router for $109 during one of the hourly timeslots at Sitex which allowed the first 5 customers to get a discount from the show price of $159 (RRP $199)? Not a bad deal considering the Dlink DIR-655 is going for over $200, and the Belkin N1 Vision is going for $225 as well. The 310 is just one step down from it's sibling 610 in terms of features. The 610 has an additional 5GHz radio which allows it to avoid the spectrum congestion in the 2.4GHz space, crowding with mircowaves and other wireless access points.

The irony of the matter is, my home network may be Gigabit enabled, but I cannot enjoy it!!! Because my laptop is NOT Gigabit! Sony SZ483N !@#$% has a Marvell Yukon (gigabit line) Fast Ethernet chip! My NAS is gigabit, my router is gigabit, and even my work laptop is gigabit! Argh!!! I guess this is what I have to contend with by going for looks. There is always something deficient about something small, slim and pretty.

Ahh, there is new firmware for my Linky. Time to dowload! Haha.

No comments: